Best Banana Bread Recipe with Flaxseed
This classic banana bread recipe has been updated with hearty flaxseed giving it a nice crunch. It's perfect for your morning or afternoon snack.
I try to eat bananas before they get too ripe. I'm guilty of putting them next to citrus, which gets them too ripe before I have a chance.
When my bananas go too ripe, I pop them into the freezer to cook with them instead.
Banana bread is a bit of a go-to in our house. The kids enjoy it warmed up with butter on top. In this recipe, I decided to add some flaxseeds for extra fibre.
Flaxseeds are a nutritious plant source of omega-3 fatty acids and provide a great source of fibre. They add a nice crunch to the banana bread.
In this recipe, the flaxseeds are optional. You could add them as ground for a smoother consistency. If you have a digestive condition like diverticulitis that requires you to restrict fibre intake, leave them out.
*Tip If your bananas aren't over-ripe, pop them in the microwave to soften. Works a charm!
Let's get cooking.
Banana Bread with Flaxseeds
Prep 10 mins | Cook Time 45 Minutes
1.5 Cups of Self-Raising Flour
1/4 Cup of Flaxseeds (optional)
2-4 Over-ripened bananas
1 Tsp Vanilla Essense
3/4 Cup of Sugar (any kind, but brown sugar works nicely)
1 Loaf Tin
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Grease Loaf Tin with butter
- Add Flour, Flaxseeds, Bananas, a sprinkle of Cinnamon, and Sugar to a mixing bowl
- Melt the Butter in the microwave or a small saucepan
- Make a well in the centre of the dried ingredients and add Butter, Egg, Vanilla Essence
- Mix the ingredients until a smooth consistency
- Add mixture into your Loaf Tin and smooth the top
- Put in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
*Tip. To check that the bread is cooked, put a knife in the centre and pull it out. If you see any wet mixture, then it isn't fully cooked. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and test again until done.